A Paisley dog walker has been handed an £800 fine following an investigation by our inspectors.
53-year-old John Stokesley failed to provide veterinary care for his dog, a two-year-old Rottweiler cross German shepherd type dog called Ziva, who had suffered injuries to her legs and ears. Stokesley’s failure to provide Ziva with the medical attention she needed led to her wounds becoming infected and the dog suffering from sepsis. This would have caused Ziva considerable pain and distress.
Stokesley, of Spencer Drive, Paisley pled guilty to causing unnecessary suffering at Paisley Sheriff Court on 10 March 2022.
Scottish SPCA inspector Gillian Dick said, “We were contacted by a veterinary practice after Stokesley presented the dog there for treatment on 15 November 2019.
“He stated that another dog in the property had attacked Ziva on Monday 11 November 2019. The owner informed the practice that Ziva had a few wounds, which he had been bathing and treating at home but that she had stopped eating.
“Ziva was carried into the practice, as she was unable to walk. The vet had to examine Ziva while she lay on the floor as the dog was so weak she could not even lift her head.
“Ziva was extremely dehydrated and also appeared to be in shock. She had many wounds but the most significant was on her right hind leg. The wound was necrotic and so deep that the bone was exposed. She also had a deep, pus-filled wound behind her right ear.
“The veterinarian advised that Ziva was in septic shock and was suffering from multi organ failure. Her back leg was so badly infected that it would need to be amputated but because Ziva was so weak she would not survive the anaesthetic and sadly the decision had to be made to euthanise her.
“Stokesley failed to take appropriate action and respond to the urgency of his dog’s condition, which ultimately led to her suffering from excruciating and debilitating injuries, which became so severe that the only option was euthanasia to end her suffering.
“Stokesley stated he was bathing the wound and attempting to treat Ziva at home, showing he was more than aware of the injuries sustained by the dog and that she needed treatment.
“He is employed as a dog walker and has responsibility for animals in his care on a daily basis, which makes this incident even more concerning. Anyone working in a professional capacity with animals would be expected to have easily recognised the severity of Ziva’s injuries.
“Had he taken swift action at onset of injury and provided his dog with the appropriate veterinary attention, she need not have suffered and may even still be alive and well today.
“We are pleased Stokesley has been fined but disappointed he was not issued with a ban given his employment involves caring for animals on a daily basis. We would hope he would think long and hard about his ability to care for animals going forward.
“If anyone is concerned about an animal they can contact our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999.”