We are appealing for information after three cats died within 24 hours from suspected antifreeze poisoning.
All of the cats lived just doors from each other on Eden Crescent in Glenrothes. The cats began displaying symptoms on Monday 7 March, with a further cat passing away in similar circumstances a month ago and another cat still currently missing.
Scottish SPCA inspector, Robyn Gray said, “This has been an incredibly distressing, sad time for all of the owners involved and our thoughts are with them.
“One of the cats affected, Salem, was just 11 months old. Another cat named Toodles was 10 and lived just a few doors away.
“Mini, who lived at another address, was two years old and tragically her owners lost one of their other cats in nearly identical circumstances just a month ago. They own a third cat who is currently missing from home and they are understandably now even more concerned about what might have happened.
“All three of the cats presented with the same symptoms of vomiting, loss of coordination and balance. Their vets have confirmed that the most likely cause is antifreeze poisoning.
“Ethylene glycol is highly poisonous to cats and causes a very slow, painful death. As all three cats lived in close proximity to each other, we are concerned that we’re potentially dealing with a deliberate act and we are urging the public to report anything suspicious.
“However, it could be that these cats are accessing a garage or area where antifreeze is not stored safely so we are appealing for local residents to please check anywhere that they think might be a risk.
“It is essential that everyone stores antifreeze out of reach of cats and other animals and checks routinely to make sure there are no leaks.
“There are strict guidelines for use and anyone who uses this substance to cause deliberate harm is committing an offence.
“We’d also ask local cat owners to be vigilant and to seek urgent veterinary treatment if their cat appears unwell.
“If anyone has any information on any of these incidents, they can contact our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999.”