The Scottish SPCA are appealing for information after a cat named Frankie ingested antifreeze and had to be put to sleep in Bathgate, West Lothian on 15 August.
We have been informed that this is potentially the second incident in the same street in the last week. The cats involved lived two doors down from each other on Philip Avenue.
Scottish SPCA inspector, Fiona Thorburn, said, “We were saddened to hear of the circumstances of these cats’ deaths, and our thoughts are with their owners.
“Frankie was just six years old.
“He disappeared for two days, until his owners spotted him in someone’s garden on their way to the supermarket.
“Frankie couldn’t get up at all or raise his head. His head wouldn’t stop shaking and he was not responsive to his owners.
“He was rushed to the vets where it was found he had kidney and brain damage, which are classic symptoms of antifreeze poisoning. He would not have recovered and Frankie sadly had to be put to sleep on veterinary advice.
“Antifreeze is highly poisonous to cats and causes a very slow, painful death.
“It could be that these cats are accessing a garage or area where antifreeze is not stored safely so we are appealing for local residents to please check anywhere that they think might be a risk.
“It is essential that everyone stores antifreeze out of reach of cats and other animals and checks routinely to make sure there are no leaks.
“There are strict guidelines for use and anyone who uses this substance to cause deliberate harm is committing an offence. We’d ask the public to report anything that may seem suspicious.
“We’d also ask local cat owners to be vigilant and to seek urgent veterinary treatment if their cat appears unwell.
“If anyone has any information about this incident, or any toxic substances being deliberately used against animals, then we would urge them to contact our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999.”