Scottish SPCA is treating a high number of animals with fishing rubbish related injuries

Since the start of the year, we have been alerted to a high number of animals who have had injuries from fishing tackle.

SwanWe recently received a call from a concerned member of the public who had encountered a swan in Lanarkshire with fishing wire hanging from its mouth and lodged down its throat.

Sadly, it has been mainly birds and seals that have become entangled in improperly discarded fishing debris.

Animal rescue officer Louise Hume said, “I was alerted to the swan on 25 November.

“I tried to gently remove the wire but it was catching on its throat. Luckily, the swan was still managing to eat and swim and was otherwise in good bodily condition, so I think the injury was fairly recent.

“When I assessed the fishing line, I found it was pretty far down the swan’s throat so it was taken to our wildlife centre in Fishcross for assessment and treatment.

“Thankfully the swan made a full recovery and was released back into the wild. However, it’s a sad fact that not all animals are as lucky.

“The vast majority of people who fish are very responsible and take care to clear away their equipment but we want to remind anyone fishing not to leave their litter as even something as small as fishing line could be dangerous and potentially lethal to wildlife.”

Anyone concerned about the welfare of an animal should contact our animal helpline on 03000 999 999.

 

Bird rescued by the Scottish SPCA being fed

Please help

You can help save sick and injured wild animals in Scotland