Back to Latest News

Information appeal after cats poisoned in Drumlithie

Image
Appeal for information after cats poisoned in Stonehaven

We are appealing for information following the deaths of five cats in the last six months, after they ingested antifreeze in the village of Drumlithie near Stonehaven, Kincardineshire.

We were alerted to the most recent incident last week where a cat named Smudge sadly passed away and the vet determined he had ingested a large amount of antifreeze.

Scottish SPCA inspector, Karen Cooper, said, “We have received reports to our helpline that Smudge was the fifth cat in the last six months to die from antifreeze poisoning in the Drumlithie area.

“The vet confirmed that antifreeze was the substance that had poisoned these poor cats.

“We would urge everyone to be vigilant with their disposal of antifreeze as this is a substance that is highly poisonous to cats and dogs and causes a very slow and painful death.

“It could be that these cats accessed a garage or area where antifreeze is not stored safely, so we are appealing for local residents to please check anywhere that they think might be a risk.

“It is essential that everyone stores antifreeze out of reach of cats and other animals. There are strict guidelines for use and anyone who uses this substance to cause deliberate harm is committing an offence.”

Anyone with information on this incident is being urged to contact our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999.

If anyone is concerned about an animal, please do not hesitate to contact our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999. We need your support today. From as little as £1, you can save lives. Please support the Scottish SPCA today.

Visa
Mastercard