We are warning the public of the dangers of antifreeze after a cat in Stewarton sadly had to be put to sleep due to antifreeze poisoning.
Velvet the cat was discovered on Sunday 11 September by her owner outside a property on Lothian Road. She appeared wobbly and lethargic and her owner rushed her to an out of hours vet. Sadly, once there, it was confirmed she was suffering from antifreeze poisoning and Velvet had to be put to sleep. Velvet was just about to celebrate her first birthday when she passed away.
Inspector, Caitlin Rea said, “This has been an incredibly distressing, sad time for Velvet’s owner and our thoughts are with them.
“This has been a very sad outcome for a young, otherwise healthy cat and we’d like to ensure that no other owners in the area suffer this heart-breaking situation.
“At present, there’s nothing to suggest this was a deliberate act, although we’d always encourage the public to report anything suspicious.
“It’s common for cats to access garages or areas where antifreeze may not be stored safely so we are appealing for local residents to please check anywhere that they think might be a risk.
“It is essential that everyone stores antifreeze out of reach of cats and other animals and checks routinely to make sure there are no leaks. Ethylene glycol is highly poisonous and causes a very slow, painful death.
“There are strict guidelines for use and anyone who uses this substance to cause deliberate harm is committing an offence.
“We’d also ask local cat owners to be vigilant and to seek urgent veterinary treatment if their cat appears unwell.
“If anyone is concerned about the welfare of animals in their local area, they can contact our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999."