The Scottish SPCA is appealing for information following a spate of cat deaths in Kilbirnie, North Ayrshire.
We have been alerted to six incidents in the past month where cats have died as a result of suspected poisoning.
Heriot Avenue is an area of particular concern, where several of the cats came from, and we are urging local pet owners to be on guard, particularly if they are letting their cats out of the house.
Chief Superintendent Mike Flynn said, "The fact that these cat deaths have happened within a short space of time and distance raises the possibility that someone may be deliberately targeting the animals.
"We are keen to speak to anyone who knows anything about this matter and we'd also like to speak to any cat owners who believe their pets may have been poisoned.
"In the meantime, we want pet owners in the area to be aware of the potential danger and to remain vigilant."
Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) is one of the most common causes of cat poisoning, particularly in the winter months. The liquid is usually colourless and odourless, but it has a sweet taste that appeals to cats.
By the time symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy and, in the latter stages, head shaking and coma occur it is often too late to treat. Renal failure is frequently the cause of death with damage to the kidneys, brain, liver and blood vessels.
Anyone with information should contact our Animal Helpline on 03000 999 999.