An Inverness woman who did not seek help for her dog after he swallowed an electrical plug has been banned from keeping dogs for two years following a Scottish SPCA investigation.
Janette Milne, 28, of Rosehaugh Road, was sentenced at Inverness Sheriff Court on Thursday (18 October).
At a previous appearance, Milne pled guilty to failing to provide necessary veterinary treatment for her English bull terrier, named Henry, and failing to ensure his welfare.
Senior Inspector Gill MacGregor said, "We are pleased Milne has been convicted of this offence.
"Henry was in extremely poor condition when I visited Milne's property and, after being taken to a vet, an x-ray revealed he had ingested a shaving plug, the cable and coil of which had become lodged in his intestines.
"It was clear he was seriously ill as he was unable to move or even lift his head.
"Milne had failed to seek the veterinary treatment Henry desperately needed and, as a result, he was caused a great deal of pain and suffering.
"Unfortunately, there was severe damage to Henry's intestines and his condition was so advanced that the vet decided the only humane option was to put him to sleep immediately.
"This was a tragic case which could so easily have been avoided. Anyone who suspects their pet has swallowed a dangerous object has a duty to seek veterinary attention as a matter of urgency."